Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Western Screech-Owl

Tualatin River National Wildlife Refuge was were I started taking pictures of birds back in March and I've visited it many times since. On a few occasions someone would pass me on the trail and ask me if I had seen the owl. In all this time, I have never seen the owl. Until today.
I was walking through the forested section just before the bridge to the wetlands observation deck at the railing overlooking the creek looking for some Kinglets or Nuthatches, as they are common through this area lately, when suddenly, there it was, right in front of me.
It was perched on a Cedar branch, snuggled up to the trunk, not more than 10 or 12 feet off the ground. It blended in well with its surroundings and was fast asleep. I was surprised at how small it was. I had expected something much larger and further up in the tree.
I'm not sure if this was "the" owl, but it was about where I had been told to look for it and I found a picture of a Screech-Owl on the "Friends of the Tualatin Refuge" sitting on what looks like the same branch. It kind of makes me wonder how many times I may have walked right past it.
It was sleeping the whole time I was taking pictures of it, only opening one eye slightly to take a peek about the time I moved on, so I didn't get a chance to see its eyes. Maybe another day.

2 comments:

  1. Oh nice! I saw this guy last winter but only got reallllly terrible photos. Yours are great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I want to go there and see him! Nice photos!

    ReplyDelete