Thursday, November 25, 2010

Red-headed Woodpecker

So, the bird's in the oven and the guests have not arrived yet; just enough time to post. :-)
Like the Brown Thrasher, this Red-headed Woodpecker I saw in Atlanta at Chattahoochee River National Recreation Area is a bird that I had seen as a youth, but would be extremely rare to see here in Oregon.
I was confused as to what it was as I could not recall seeing a picture of a woodpecker that looked like this bird. I assumed that it was a female of some variety and once I got a good look at the large white patches on its wings I started recalling the Red-headed Woodpecker. It wasn't until I looked it up in my Sibley field guide that I realized that it was a juvenile.
I'm not quite sure what it was up to, but it had a lot of energy and kept flying back and forth across the trail. I followed it for quite some time as it flew from tree to tree, but still found it hard to get a close, clear shot.

No comments:

Post a Comment