Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Eurasian Collared-Dove

Correction: I had originally thought this was a Ringed Turtle-Dove as it matched the description in my National Audubon Society Field Guide. The Eurasian Collared-Dove is excluded from that guide for some reason. I purchased The Sibley Field Guide to Birds of Western North America today and found that the Eurasian Collared-Dove is a better match and the more likely identity.

I will leave my original post below unchanged:

Per Cornell's All About Birds, "The Ringed Turtle-Dove has been domesticated for so long that its wild origins are not known for certain. It frequently escapes from captivity, and feral populations have become established in some cities in the southern United States."

I found this Ringed Turtle-Dove at the Rio Grande Nature Center State Park. It was reasonably tame, so I was able to get some good close pictures. There is larger variety of Doves here in Albuquerque then in the Portland area. Besides this Ringed Turtle-Dove, I saw White-winged Doves and Morning Doves. There are also Band-tailed Pigeons and Inca Doves.

No comments:

Post a Comment