Thursday, July 1, 2010

Curve-billed Thrasher

When I arrived at Rio Grande Nature Center State Park on Sunday morning, my goal was to get another opportunity at getting some good shots of a Greater Roadrunner. I had gotten a few on my previous trip on Friday, but there was only one that that turned out adequate. The parking lot and surrounding area seemed to be the place to look, so that is where I started my morning.
I surveyed the parking lot itself first and when I was sure it was Roadrunner free, I ventured into the side garden and undeveloped area. It was there that I was pleasantly surprised to find a couple of Curve-billed Thrashers. Another first for me.
They turned out to be only mildly cautious, one of the benefits of shooting in a public park. I was able to get many reasonably close pictures of them. They spent most of there time using their large beaks "trashing" around on the ground through leaves and soil. I assume they were looking for food, but based on the fact that I got several pictures of them with dried grass and roots in their beaks, they may also been building or mending a nest.

No comments:

Post a Comment