Saturday, July 10, 2010

Summer Tanager

I saw a few Summer Tanagers at Rio Grande Nature Center State Park in Albuquerque. They were hard to get close enough to get a good picture. The two above are a couple of the better ones I took. I also got a few shots of a female off in the distance. The females look similar, but are a darker yellow color.
The male in the top image was singing away high in a Cottonwood tree and even though it is bright red, I had a terrible time spotting it. Once I did, it stuck around long enough to get several pictures, but the distance and lighting conditions made for poor pictures.
The bottom one is a better picture, but the Tanager was only there for a moment so I only got two pictures of it. I was closer and the lighting was a little better.
These are striking birds and it was a thrill to see them.

No comments:

Post a Comment