Monday, May 10, 2010

Pileated Woodpecker

After things slowed down a bit at the Audubon Society of Portland's bird feeders a couple of Saturday's ago, I wandered around the visitor center to see what they had to offer. There were several stuffed birds and animals and of course a nice gift shop. Off to one side I noticed a large empty room and peeked in to see what was inside. It looked like it may be used for lectures, etc. There was a family in there so I assumed it was OK to go in a look around. The room formed a 90 degree angle with the wall that had the windows looking out on the bird feeders and this room also had a large window looking out in that direction. There was another suet feeder hanging just outside the window. I was standing there looking out the window when this enormous Pileated Woodpecker flew up and landed on the suet feeder. Wow! I've always wanted to see one of these birds and here was one right in front of me. There are things I wish could have be better from a picture taking stand point, but the fact that I saw one of these birds and was able to take pictures of it is a highlight of this new hobby of mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment