Friday, May 7, 2010

Great Blue Heron

I'm bachin' it today and tomorrow, so I decided to spend the evening at TRNWR. What a shock. They drained just about all the water out of the refuge. After reading a few informational signs throughout, I realized that this is normal. They are trying to simulate the past flood of winter and receding waters of spring and summer. I still found it disappointing. To top it off, one of the first things I saw off in the distance was a Coyote attacking a Canadian Goose and its Gosling. It was quite the scene and I couldn't help thinking to myself that the birds would have had more of a chance had there been more water to take refuge. Oh well, I guess this is the natural order of things.
Anyway, after a slow start, it turned out to be an interesting evening. I saw a few new species. I also got some decent shots of a Great Blue Heron in flight. I mentioned in an earlier post how I have difficulty with birds in flight. This is the third or fourth opportunity that I have to shot a Great Blue in flight and these are by far the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment