Sunday, May 30, 2010

Osprey

The 400mm lens I rented has advantages and disadvantages. It's advantages are apparent, 400mm with a f2.8 aperture. It has a lot of reach and great light gathering abilities. Unfortunately, it is also about 12 lbs and has no VR. In order to support and steady it, I use a monopod. This works quite well for birds at or about eye level, but it gets increasing difficult the higher or lower its position.
I was walking through Jackson Bottom Wetlands when I saw the Osprey above flying overhead. This seemed like a great opportunity, but instead of my light weight 300mm lens, I had the 12 lb behemoth. Not one to pass up an opportunity, I lifted the lens and monopod up off the ground and pointed it overhead at the Osprey. At the moment there was a mix of blue sky and light gray clouds so exposure was a concern, but since this was all happening so fast, there wasn't any time for anything but shoot or loose the opportunity. Needless to say I wasn't optimistic that the pictures would turn out, so it came as a pleasant surprise when I saw many had turned out very nicely.

No comments:

Post a Comment