Saturday, May 1, 2010

Band-tailed Pigeon

This morning I decided to visit the Audubon Society of Portland. It's what I had been planning and I decided to go even though it was a cloudy, gloomy day. I knew this was going to be problematic because the Society's land is heavily forested, so it was going to be even darker, making picture taking difficult. As it turned, I was right, it was dark. Worse yet, while I heard birds around me, I didn't see very many.
The trip turned out to be worth it though for a couple different reasons. First I saw this Band-tailed Pigeon. It belongs on my 'didn't know it existed' list. It was a ways off up in a tree. I saw it land, but couldn't tell just what it was. This is the best picture of the six or so that I took. Identifying turned out to be easier than I thought as the yellow bill with a black tip, yellow feet, white band on the back and side of the neck and the general coloring made it pretty obvious when looking through my field guide. Not the best picture, but a new species!
The other great thing occurred when I finished up the trails and stopped by the visitor center. Turns out they have some feeders just outside some large windows and they were quite active. I saw a couple different humming birds, a male and female Hairy Woodpecker, a Chestnut-backed Chickadee and to top it off, a beautiful Pileated Woodpecker. I'll post images of these birds in the upcoming days.

No comments:

Post a Comment