Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Gadwall

When I started birding last March I saw a lot of ducks, but I didn't see any Gadwalls until into May. They are supposed to be year round residents here, so it may be that I just missed them since they are not as flashy as other ducks during mating season. I'll have to keep an eye out as Spring approaches to see if they disappear for a while.
The male Gadwalls above are in breeding plumage now. Their heads are browner than when I first saw them last Spring and this past Summer. These were preening so they are showing off some of the coloring of their upper wings. The reddish patch offset with the black and white on their wings are very attractive features.

1 comment:

  1. Despite their plain-ness I think Gadwalls are just beautiful.. Great photo..

    ReplyDelete