Thursday, January 13, 2011

California Quail

Like I said in an earlier post, I drove out to Harrington Road on Jan 2 for a second time to see if I could locate the Prairie Falcon. I struck out on the Falcon, but I did end up seeing two new birds; an Acorn Woodpecker and some California Quail.
I caught both a male and a female Quail in the image above. I noticed them among some farm buildings as I was turning around at the east end of Harrington Road. I had gotten a glimpse of what I believe were California Quail last Spring at Jackson Bottom, but they scurried off into some brush before I could get a good view or take a picture. And I've seen some several different times over the years driving to work in the morning, but I haven't been adding birds to my life list if I had seen them before I started up this hobby back in March. I may change that at some point, but for now that is how I want to manage it.
Anyway, the light was poor and they wouldn't sit still, but they did hang around long enough so that I could get enough pictures taken which always increases the chance of getting a good shot.

1 comment: