Monday, January 24, 2011

Acorn Woodpecker

I spent some time yesterday looking for the Prairie Falcon again. Struck out again, but I did see an Acorn Woodpecker again. In fact, I saw three and this time I found the source. There are three Oak trees along Harrington Road just west of Dersham Road where Harrington curves to the north just a bit.
I was driving slow looking for the Falcon when a car approached from the rear. I notice that there is a small pull out right along the curve, so I pulled over to let the car by. That's when I noticed a couple of the Woodpeckers.
I took a few pictures and then moved on. They tended to be on the top of branches so it was hard to get a clear picture. This was another case where having a sun roof turned out to be advantageous.
As I approached the curve the next time, one of the woodpeckers flew off towards me while a couple more flew from the ground up into the tree. It appeared that they where scavenging for acorns on the ground.

1 comment:

  1. That open-mouth shot is awesome. I saw them on the telephone pole just next to those trees. Better luck next time with the falcon..

    ReplyDelete