Sunday, January 2, 2011

Acorn Woodpecker

I had some time this morning between church and taking my daughter back to the U of O for winter term, so I thought I'd see if I could find the Prairie Falcon that has been reported on Harrington Road. No luck on the Falcon, but the trip wasn't for naught.
As I drove west on Harrington Road just a short ways past Dersham Road, a large black woodpecker landed on a power line pole right beside me. To my surprise it turned out to be a female Acorn Woodpecker. I was already traveling slowly so it was easy to come to a stop and take a few pictures of it. It only stayed for about 20 seconds and then flew off west-northwest. It seemed like an odd place to see this species, but it was only there for a moment and then moved on.

1 comment:

  1. That must have been a nice surprise! Great photos in the short time you had!

    ReplyDelete