Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Semipalmated Plover

Whenever I bird a new area, especially another part of the country or even another country, I am hopeful that I will see new species that I wouldn't be able to see here in Oregon. Such was the case when I visited Montreal and Bois-de-l'Île-Bizard Nature Park. However, whenever I see a bird I've already seen close to home, I have make sure that my enthusiasm for new sightings doesn't hamper an opportunity for good pictures.
Such was the case with this Semipalmated Plover. It was the first bird I saw as I approached the river shore. When I identified it, my first reaction was, "Ah, just a Semipalmated Plover". Just a Semipalmated Plover?! It hasn't been but about a month since my first sighting of this species and then I only got fair pictures of it. Here was one of these birds very close to me and fairly at ease with my presence.
If you look closely at the left foot of the bird in the top image, you will see where it get its name. Semipalmated refers to the fact that its toes are partially webbed.

No comments:

Post a Comment