Monday, September 20, 2010

Red Crossbill

While walking along the Tillamook Bay side of Bayocean Spit, I came across a path that lead into a grove of pines. It was a short path and ended up at an opening with a couple if pit fires and a small pond.
As soon as I approached the opening I noticed some bird activity to my left in a bush by the pond. I couldn't get a good look at the birds and as I approached, they flew across the opening and a couple landed on the the top of two pines. I took some quick pictures, but they didn't stick around very long.
The image above was the best image I got and really the only one I felt comfortable with identifying them as Red Crossbills. The crossed bill is easily seen and while the coloration is a little vague, I believe this is a female.

No comments:

Post a Comment