Thursday, August 5, 2010

Common Loon

As I mentioned back on July 27th, one of the birds I have fond memories of as a youngster, is the Common Loon. Not only do they look cool, they have the most eerie call.
While Lake Itasca in Minnesota is is great place to see and hear Common Loons, I got my best views of one at Lake Carlos State Park. It spent some time floating around just off shore a bit. Close enough to get OK shots, but not close enough to get great shots.
While watching the bird, I noticed that it occasionally lifted its head up pointing its bill into the air. The top image shows it with its head tipped the highest that I observed with its bill almost pointing straight up. While I didn't find many discussions of this behavior, apparently they do this when they are curious or on alert.

No comments:

Post a Comment