Monday, August 2, 2010

Black-chinned Hummingbird

Back in late June during my first visit to the Rio Grande Nature Center State Park in Albuquerque, I came across a large cement wall with holes like small windows in it next to the visitor center. As I approached the wall I could see that there was a pond on the other side and that this was a blind of sorts for viewing the wildlife on the other side. There were quite a few birds and animals in the pond and surrounding area including Wood Ducks, Canada Geese, White-breasted Nuthatches, Squirrels, Red-eared Sliders and multitudes of Black-chinned Hummingbirds seen in the images above.
I wish the feeder would have been a little closer, but even so I was able to get some interesting pictures.
These Hummingbirds were in a feeding frenzy. They would dart up to the feeder, drink some sugar water and then fly off again. They made the most interesting sound as they flew by. It reminded me of the space ship that George Jetson flew to work. :-)
I have never seen so many Hummingbirds at one time.

No comments:

Post a Comment