Sunday, March 20, 2011

Purple Finch

Things are starting to heat up at my feeders. On Thursday I had my first Purple Finches. Better than that, it was also the first time I've ever seen Purple Finches. There have been times that I thought I had had my first sighting, but I ultimately determined that the bird was a House Finch.
This first sighting consisted of females and possibly juvenile males (notice the spec of red above the bill on the third bird from the left). I had to ask for some help identifying them as the yellow tinge through me off. The pictures didn't turn out very well as I was shooting through a window and it was a typical gloomy Oregon winter day.
Then, yesterday, I had just gotten back from Sauvie Island having joined the OBO field trip, when I notice something at the sunflower tube. It turned out to be a male Purple Finch. I shot through the window again, but there was a little sun peeking through the clouds, so the pictures are a little better. (I have to remember to clean that window!)
The male made another appearance today.

No comments:

Post a Comment