Saturday, April 24, 2010

Dunlin

I spent another morning at Jackson Bottom Wetlands Preserve. It was very active and the water had receded quite a bit from the last time I was there. It was an interesting morning weather-wise as it was sunny one moment and pouring the next. While I got a lot of good pictures, I'm not sure I got any great ones. I did see some birds that I would have loved to have gotten pictures of such as a rooster Ring-necked Pheasant and either California or Gambel's Quail. I only saw each for an instant before they took cover.
I saw these Dunlin just before leaving the preserve. I don't have much experience with shore birds and was concerned that I wouldn't be able to identify them as so many look the same. The black patches on the bellies, however, made it quite apparent as to their identity.

No comments:

Post a Comment