Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Tundra Swan - Bewick's

I had an interesting day of birding yesterday.
First thing in the morning, I headed out to Llewellyn Road just south of Corvallis, OR to see if I could find the Mountain Plover that had been reported there for the last few weeks. The good news is I saw it! The bad news is that I forgot my camera.
Santa got me a digital recorder for Christmas (how does he know these things?). Between the recorder, the shotgun microphone and cable I took with me, in my haste, I thought I had everything and left my camera behind. I was on highway 99W, approaching Llewellyn Road, when I made the discovery.
Oh well, the Plover was out of range of my camera anyway. So I got a check on my life list, but no picture to prove it.
Since I was camera-less, I arrived home earlier than expected so I decided to I make another trip and try my luck at finding the Emperor Goose at TRNWR. This time I had my camera. Again, I saw the bird, but it was so far out of range of my camera that my pictures are barely proof that I saw it.
After that I stopped by Coffee Lake on my way home in search of the Bewick's Swan, a subspecies of the Tundra Swan. And again I found it! This time the picture I got was at least good enough to post and good enough to identify the swan as a Bewick's.
So, a successful listing day, but a poor photography day. :-)

1 comment:

  1. Oh what a bummer about forgetting the camera!! Congrats on the Mountain Plover! I tried yesterday and failed miserably. The worst part was seeing on OBOL there was a Snowy Owl at the intersection of I-5 and Hwy 34. Dang! Congrats on the Bewick's and the Emperor too!

    ReplyDelete