Friday, October 7, 2011

Eurasian Collared-Dove

I spent the morning and early afternoon at Fernhill Wetlands today. Bird activity is picking up a little as the winter Cackling and White-fronted Geese are starting to move in as have the Golden-crowned Sparrows. I also got some great looks at a flock of about 30 Long-billed Dowitchers at Dabblers Marsh.
On my way home, only a couple of miles from the wetlands, along SW Blooming Fern Hill Road I saw a pale dove sitting on a power line. I was intrigued enough to turn around and get a closer look. This was another case where having a moon roof on the car helped out. Turned out to be an Eurasian Collared Dove. My first in Washington County!
I also got really lucky and happened to press the shutter button just as it took off. It's even in focus!

1 comment:

  1. Nice shot! I visited Fernhill yesterday afternoon, but didn't see many birds.. Dabbler's Marsh was deader than dead for me. Still had a good time though!

    ReplyDelete