Friday, October 28, 2011

Eastern Towhee

I made my yearly trip to Atlanta this week and was able to fit in a couple of birding sessions. Yesterday, I visited the Chattahoochee River National Recreation Area - Cochran Shoals Unit like I did last year as it was quite birdie. Though this year was a little quieter, but I still saw many of the eastern birds I saw there last year, plus a few new ones. Noticeably missing were Carolina Wrens and I only saw one Tufted Titmouse, one of the birds I was looking forward to seeing again. Birds I did see were Red-bellied and Red-headed Woodpeckers, Yellow-bellied Sapsucker, Northern Cardinal, Carolina Chickadee, Northern Mockingbird, Brown Thrasher and Eastern Bluebird. New Georgia birds include Yellow-rumped Warbler, Common Grackle, Northern Flicker (Yellow-shafted), American Goldfinch and a Red-tailed Hawk.
At this point, the only new life bird that I have identified is the Eastern Towhee shown above. I saw two and they were very shy, hiding in the bushes. I only got one shot of one in the open, but unfortunately it was somewhat distant and in the shade, however it is clearly an Eastern Towhee, looking a lot like our Spotted Towhee, but with only the lone white spot on at the base of its primaries.

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on the lifer! Looks like you had nice weather on top of it!

    ReplyDelete