Thursday, October 28, 2010

Carolina Wren

Another business trip. At first I didn't think I would be able to fit in a birding outing, but then an additional meeting came up causing me to stay an extra day, leaving Thursday open. I took the opportunity to visit two parks near the Georgia Tech Hotel where I was staying; Fernbank Forest and Recreation Center and Olmsted Park.
Olmsted Park was a unintended stop. The local Audubon Society highly recommended Fernbank Forest and Recreation Center, but it turned out that it didn't open to the public until 2:00 PM on weekdays because it is used in conjunction with the local elementary school.
As it turned out, I wasn't quite sure where the Taxi should drop me off to enter Fernbank Forest so I decided to be dropped off at the Fernbank Museum. Turns out it was about a 1.5 mile walk from there. Along the way I happened to notice Olmsted Park. I'm glad I did as it turned out to be more active than Fernbank Forest.
One bird that was quite plentiful at both sites was the Carolina Wren seen above. The two images are from Fernbank Forest. Their behavior was similar to Wrens I see in the Portland metro area; spending a lot of time low to the ground in bushes and quite active.
This one posed in the open for me for a bit and a shaft of light through the trees hit it nicely. Only thing I should have done differently is to lower the exposure just a bit as the birds face blew out just a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment