Tuesday, March 23, 2010

American Robin

The classic American Robin. Not much more to say. It was ahead of me just off the path at TRNWR yesterday hunting worms. I actually got a shot of it just after it caught a worm, but the picture isn't as good as this one. I also got a few of it in that classic "head cocked" position. I always thought, along with others, that they could actually hear the worms under the ground. After doing some research, I learned that studies have shown that they are actually getting a very good look with one of their eyes and are looking for tell tale signs of the worm such as the worm poking out of the ground (evidently they do this, especially after a rain) and castings or pellets of mud on the soil surface indicating the entrance to a worm hole.

No comments:

Post a Comment