Thursday, September 15, 2011

Surfbird

When I first started walking South Spit at Newport, I saw an assortment of birds swimming in the water around me and a few gulls on the rocks ahead. But it wasn't until I climbed down on one side to get a better view of some Surf Scoters that the action began.
What I hadn't realized is that there were multitudes of Black Turnstones and Surfbirds on the rocks along the waters edge. They either blended in well or were hiding behind rocks, but as I descended down the rock, I flushed several beginning an hour or so of great fun shooting both species of birds at close range.
The images of Surfbirds above are easily the best I've taken. They were a little shyer than the Black Turnstones, but patience and careful movement allowed me to get some close looks. I find that most birds are less apt to fly away if you don't look directly at them as you approach. In fact, looking down or off in another direction seems to make them feel more secure.

No comments:

Post a Comment