Friday, February 4, 2011

Snowy Egret

I've seen Snowy Egrets once before on the Rio Grande river in Albuquerque, NM last summer. They were standing out on sandbars in the middle of the river, so I didn't get very close looks. I did get pretty close to this Snowy Egret last Monday at Clark County Wetlands Park in Henderson, NV. Having seen Great Egrets many time here in Oregon, I was surprised that the Snowy's were quite a bit smaller. Sybley states that Great Egrets stand almost 40" while Snowy Egrets stand at only 24".
While these images don't reveal the black legs and bright yellow feet of the Snowy Egret, I did get some mediocre pictures of it flying away that did reveal this trait. That was the thing that struck me the most the first time I saw them. It kind of looks like they are wearing yellow shoes.

1 comment: