Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Brown Pelican

I was back in the LA area during the latter half of last week and was lucky enough to have stopped by a small coastal park named La Piedra Beach where I found a flock of Brown Pelicans. The parking area was high above the beach but had a narrow trail leading down to the water.
I took my time traversing the trail, eventually have to scale some rocks to get down to the beach. The pelicans were right in front of me so I moved very slowly, stopping for a bit then inching a little closer. I had to work my way to the right of them as it was late in the afternoon and the sun was of to the side.
Luckily, though a few stirred occasionally, I was able to get quite close getting my best pictures to date of these majestic birds. Another plus is that they were nearly all in breeding plumage. It seems I usually always see them in autumn in Oregon when they have lost most of their more vibrant colors.

No comments:

Post a Comment